Saturday, June 22, 2013

Retro applique and embroidered dish towels

At quilt bee this week, Cherie showed some dish towels that she "saved" from her mother-in-law's estate (no one else in the family wanted them).  These were too cool not to share with you. I had never seen these designs before in antique shops or elsewhere; I wonder if they weren't as common as the all-embroidered dish towels.








Don't these look straight out of the 50's and 60's? Doing housework in heels is a myth, or at least my mom and relatives did not fit this image!

I neglected to take a photo of the back, but all of these were very neatly hand appliquéd with teeny, tiny stitches.

Aren't these great colors and designs? Has anyone seen these before?

3 comments:

Judy Hansen said...

I saw of a McCalls pattern to make these. I don't know if it is available now, but they sure are cute! I would like to be that women some days, but sadly, I'm hardly ever in heels anymore. The pattern is No. 968.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

They reminded me too of the style of dishcloth patterns available in the 1950s. However the pants on the last dishtowel remind me of the style of the 1930s that my mother wore. Very neat.

Anonymous said...

There's a seller on ebay who specializes in vintage pattern copies and she has the pattern for it.