Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day U.S.

I need to get some patriotic quilt tops started. This is the closest to red, white, and blue I found.
My memories of Memorial Day include marching in parades (in our full black and white uniforms, no less, whew!), picnicking at Lake Michigan (both Muskegon State Park and Pioneer Park were great picnic spots), learning who won the Indy 500 (my dad listened to it on the radio and gave us a report), helping mom add plants to grave sites, riding bikes a half mile to Gov's Market for the one or two grocery items we forgot, among other warm weather things.

I come from a military family, so I have several people that I would like to thank for their service to our country and our freedoms in the U.S.: Thank you, dad (Army); Uncle Bud (Army); Aunt Pat (Army); sister Joyce (Army); sister Ginny (Navy); nephew Randy (National Guard); Randy's wife Jami (National Guard); nephew Jeff (National Guard); Uncle Walter (Navy); father-in-law Jack (Army). I hope I didn't forget anyone.

My grandmother Laura was also a "Rosie the Riveter" during World War II, when women worked in the factory jobs while men were off to war.  Thank you everyone.

No comments: